Monday, September 27, 2010

GC1BN9B - Lean on Me

     This was the second geocache of the day, and second geocache ever for ben4377. This time he actually found it first, however not before some poor navigation. You see, to avoid the mistake that I made on my first geocache, I decided that ben4377 won't use the GPS. This was his second one though, and I decided to give him a shot at navigating. In the city however, it can be complicated. We knew there was a bridge up ahead, and we were walking along Ellesmere to our destination. Ben had already tried to lead us astray up some other road, but he said we were 700 meters away, so I knew it couldn't possibly be up that road. I don't have any fancy map system in my GPS so it really just shows the major highways and super important roads. This meant that we couldn't just look at that GPS to figure out where we were. I told Ben to make sure that the cache was directly north of us before we leave Ellesmere to avoid being on the wrong side of the bridge. That didn't happen. 
      Ben took us off the road into a forested area. There was a nice steep ravine with a river running at the bottom of it. So BBB and I asked our navigator where we need to go, and he told us that the cache is probably down on the river bed. We descended the hill and came to the river bed, and I ask which way now. Ben stood with a confused look on his face, and I thought "uh oh." Taking the GPS from him I could tell the cache was on the other side of the river. Now technically, we could have climbed back up, walked to Ellesmere, cross the bridge where there was most likely a nice entrance. In the city though, wilderness adventures aren't too easy to come by, so we decided to take this as an opportunity for an adventure. We found a semi-decent spot, and we were gonna jump the river. BBB made it across pretty ok, however I made a little splash as I jumped over. Ben however, although his jump was good, didn't quite make it across. Luckily though, his jump was the only one caught on video! 
]

After this is was fairly easy to find. Although the smell of sewage was pretty nasty, it wasn't bad enough to make us turn back. Ben actually found this one first, so congrats to him. It was in a metal ammo can, which I thought was super cool until I realized that they are actually a pretty common. It was really fun to find, a great adventure.



No comments: